Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"..please press 1 for instructions in spanish..."

The automated phone systems are ok. They are fine with me. I know, I know...most people can't stand them. Most people want to speak to a "human being" when they call a customer service department. I don't. I don't want to talk to anyone. I speak to "human beings" from 8am to 5pm and, trust me, i walk away with my head spinning and a sudden urge to funnel a drano cocktail. I'd rather push phone buttons for an hour to get what I need than have a 10 minute conversation with a "live person." Why you ask? well....because the recording of the computer generated chick on the phone doesn't fillibuster, she doesn't transfer me to "someone who handles that", she doesn't ask me for my cousin's wife's maiden name, and she doesn't pretend she cares while she snaps her gum and thumbs through last week's Inquirer. She just makes me press a few buttons to get what i need.

Imagine if the rest of our lives were like that?

1 comment:

Brez said...

Quite a different perspective that I have never thought about. As long as I get the info I need in a timely fashion, I don't care. I thought you might be going down the path of not being able to understand the "live person" due to their inept version of the English language.

Nice first post. Entertaining. I'll come back.